You Can Sue Your Landlord For Injuries On Their Property

Each day across Sacramento, many tenants come and go from their rented homes or offices. Many do so without incident. Others aren’t so lucky. They trip on raised or cracked pavement, fall on stairs, get burned in a fire or fall victim to a waiting assailant hiding in the bushes. These are just some reasons why renters get hurt on landlords’ premises. If such an event has happened to you, then you may be able to sue your landlord.

Landlords are responsible for making sure that the property that you rent from them is adequately maintained and reasonably safe. If a particular flaw with the building envelope or their premises is brought up with them, then it’s their responsibility to fix it. They should regularly assess their property on their own to see if needs repairs as well. If they fail to address flaws pointed out to them or ones they find on their own, then they can be sued if someone gets hurt.

Whether an individual will be able to sue a landlord depends on why they were on the premises. If the injured person is a tenant, their visitor or an invitee, then they will likely qualify to file suit. If the individual who got hurt was trespassing on the property, then they may not be able to do so.

Each jurisdiction establishes its insurance requirements for landlords. If you live in an area where property owners are required to take out general liability coverage, then you’ll likely be able to file a claim against that policy. If you can, then you may be able to recover medical costs, lost wages and any other expenses that you may incur as a result of your injuring incident.

If your landlord isn’t required to purchase such a policy, then you may be able to sue a landlord in their personal capacity. Whether you’re able to do so will depend on who owns the home and how that entity is incorporated.

A personal injury attorney can review the details of your case alongside the existing insurance regulations in the area to determine who you may be able to file suit against. If they determine that you can, then they’ll be able to connect you with the resources you need to protect your rights and recover damages in your California case.