Killed In Fire
Settlement: Confidential | Sacramento County Argente v. Housing Partners, Amerland and SimplexGrinnell, LP
Neither the property owners nor SimplexGrinnell, LP, notified the fire department that the system had been disconnected and there was no fire watch in place while the system was down. On Aug. 15, 2008, a fire occurred on the sixth floor of the complex. Because the system was disconnected, the tenants did not get notice of the fire. Mr. Argente lived on the sixth floor and died of smoke inhalation. As part of the settlement of this case, SimplexGrinnell, LP, agreed to change its business practice regarding impairment of life safety systems to minimize the chance that losses like this one would occur in the future. SimplexGrinnell, LP, agreed to obtain written acknowledgment by the owner, authorized representative, lessee or tenant of their responsibility to (1) notify the Fire Department of any planned impairment and (2) to implement mitigation measures, such as fire watch, at all times while the system is impaired.