If you are part of a car accident, it won’t be long before you wonder about the best way to contact your insurance company.
While your health should always come first, you want to make contact with your agent as soon as possible.
Here are five helpful tips for making a car insurance claim:
- Don’t delay: Once you arrive home or are settled after receiving treatment, contact your agent to report the accident.
- Understand your policy: Before you dive too deep into conversation, learn more about your policy, such as the type of coverage you have. You should expect your insurer to live up to their end of the contract.
- Take notes: Write down everything you discuss with your insurance company. Also, keep detailed records in regard to who you spoke with, phone numbers and job titles.
- Gather evidence: From photos of the accident scene and your injuries to medical bills, collect anything you think may come in handy in the future. If you have a receipt related to your accident, keep it for future use.
- Remember that you have a contract: When you pay for car insurance, you’re actually paying for a contract. Your insurer is obligated to provide benefits based on the policy you’ve been paying for. Don’t sell yourself short.
These tips can help you when making a car insurance claim after a car accident. As you consult with your agent, remember that they’re not always on your side. You need to do what’s best for you, as this increases your ability to receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.