Robert A. Buccola
Robert Buccola is a managing and founding partner of Dreyer Babich Buccola Wood Campora, LLP, and is a native of Sacramento. He is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, and the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. Robert has been selected for inclusion in Northern California's Super Lawyers annually for the last 15 years, which names attorneys in each state who have received the highest point totals, through both peer review and the independent research of law and politics.
Robert began his career as an insurance defense attorney defending individual insureds and corporate defendants for several years before beginning his career representing injury victims in 1985. For more than 30 years, Robert has had the honor and privilege of exclusively representing injured clients and their family heirs, along the entire spectrum of personal injury litigation.
“My parents taught me the virtues of hard work and compassion at an extremely young age. By nature, I’m competitive, and I thrive on challenge. My clients’ causes become my own.”
In 1989, Robert began to author and lecture to lawyers for the Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB). At the time, Robert was the youngest CEB author/lecturer in the state. Robert writes, lectures and teaches for many notable legal educational groups on tort law and trial practice including Consumer Attorneys of California, the National Business Institute and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Almost 25 years ago, Robert was inducted into the Sacramento Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) as its youngest Chapter Member. Robert is also a member emeritus, and a “Master of the Bar” in the Anthony M. Kennedy Inn of Court. He is the past president of ABOTA Sacramento Chapter. (Less than 1 percent of all practicing lawyers throughout the country are admitted as ABOTA members.)
Robert has attained six different record verdicts and settlements throughout Northern California. His results include record verdicts in California Counties as far north as Tehama County and to the south in San Diego with also a Bay Area record result in addition to his successes in Sacramento County. In 1998, Robert attained the highest personal injury verdict in Sacramento County history and has twice exceeded that record. First, in 2010 with a $24.3 million dollar verdict and then exceeded that local record in 2013, with a $34.9 million dollar record result.
In 1998, Robert received the “Trial Lawyer of the Year Award” by the Sacramento chapter of Consumer Attorneys. In 2001, he received from the American Board of Trial Advocates’ Sacramento Chapter its “Trial Lawyer of the Year Award.” In 2005, the Consumer Attorneys of California honored Robert as a top 10 litigator and finalist in the statewide "Consumer Attorney of the Year" award at its annual convention in Los Angeles.
In 2012, Robert was one of only six California lawyers to be inducted into The Inner Circle of Advocates, a group with a membership of the top 100 lawyers in the United States.
For more than 20 years, he has been rated AV Preeminent in his field as rated through Martindale Hubbell,* and he is noted as one of approximately 16 Northern California personal injury lawyers, as a top 100 Super Lawyer in Northern California. Robert is recognized by Sacramento Magazine and by Best Lawyers of America’s peer review screening process as an area “Best Lawyer,” and in 2005 Robert was also featured by the University of the Pacific’s McGeorge School of Law as their 80th Anniversary Practicing Lawyer.
Robert is one of the approximately 150 plaintiff injury lawyers in the state who is certified as a “Civil Trial Specialist” by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, and he sits as a Judge Pro Tem for the Sacramento County Superior Court.
Robert is a funds developer for the Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), an organization that provides legal services for local foster care kids in need. He remains actively involved in supporting numerous local charities and philanthropic organizations and is proud to have been awarded the Morton L. Friedman Humanitarian of the Year Award in 2014.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Accidents
- Product Liability
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- California, 1983
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- Juris Doctor
- University of California, Berkeley
- Continuing Education of the Bar
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- National Business Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates
Honors and Awards
- Northern California Super Lawyer, San Francisco Magazine
- “Trial Lawyer of the Year Award”, Sacramento chapter of Consumer Attorneys
- “Trial Lawyer of the Year Award”, American Board of Trial Advocates’ Sacramento Chapter
- Top 10 litigator, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Finalist in the statewide "Consumer Attorney of the Year" award at its annual convention in Los Angeles
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Top 100 Super Lawyer in Northern California, 2008 - 2019
- “Best Lawyer” Sacramento Magazine and Best Lawyers of America’s peer review screening
- 80th Anniversary Practicing Lawyer, University of the Pacific’s McGeorge School of Law
- Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Best Lawyers of America – greater Sacramento area to the Oregon border, Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Top 25: 2013 - 2019 Sacramento Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sacramento Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) , Youngest Chapter Member
- Anthony M. Kennedy Inn of Court, Member Emeritus and a “Master of the Bar”
- ABOTA Sacramento Chapter, Past President
- Sacramento Child Advocates, Board Member
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers , Member
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel , Nation’s Top One Percent, Member
- Sacramento County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem
- The American College of Trial Lawyers, since 2010
- One of six active California counsel inducted into The Inner Circle of Advocates with 100 members nationally
- Fund Development, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
Pro Bono Activities
- Member of the Sacramento Child Advocates
- Morals Value Program of Sacramento, Fund Developer